Do you think someone has restricted you on Instagram, and you want to be sure?
There’s no direct way of finding that out. Instagram doesn’t notify you if someone has restricted you.
However, there are several ways you can know this:
How to tell if someone restricted you on Instagram?
- Use another Instagram account to check the comments you posted on their posts. If you can’t see them with the other account, it means you’re restricted;
- Has the other person not seen your DMs or replied to them even though it’s been a long time since you sent them? You might be restricted;
- Check their activity status on your account and then use another account. If you can’t see their status on your account, but the status is there on the other account, it means you’re restricted;
You must do some detective work to check if someone has restricted you on Instagram.
Read below for more details on this!
What Does Being Restricted on Instagram Mean?
Being restricted on Instagram means that:
- Your comments on the other person’s posts will be invisible to anyone except you;
- Your DMs will be sent to the other person’s “Message Requests” section;
- You can’t see if the other person is online or offline;
- You can’t see if the other person has seen your DMs;
- Your comments on the other person’s story will be invisible to anyone except you;
In other words, it’s tough to know someone on Instagram has restricted you. If they don’t reply to your DMs, they could just be ignoring you, and you can’t be sure they’ve restricted you.
However, when you look at all these details, you’ll realize whether or not they’ve restricted you.
How to Know If Someone Has Restricted you on Instagram?
There are three ways to determine if someone has restricted you on Instagram. We’ll go over each method below:
- Check your comments on their posts with another Instagram account
You can first create another Instagram account to check your comments on the other person’s posts.
Alternatively, you can ask a common friend to look for your comments on that person’s posts.
You’ve been restricted if they can’t find your comments even though you can see them on your account.
When you’re restricted, no one can see the comments you post, but you can still see them.
They appear to be public, but they’re not. The other person can either ignore your comments and leave them in a state of “Pending” or delete them.
You need to use another account to find the truth if they leave them pending.
- Look at your private conversation with that person
Have they seen your messages or not? It could mean they’ve restricted you if they haven’t seen them.
Even if they see your messages, you won’t know when that happens. They’ll appear as unread for you.
Moreover, your message notifications will appear in the other person’s Message Requests in the Spam section.
They can easily ignore you.
While this solution isn’t 100% precise, it’ll give you a hint of what’s going it. Coupled with the method above, you’ll be sure if you’ve been restricted.
- Use another account to check their activity status
You can’t see the other person’s activity status when you’re restricted. There won’t be any green dot showing they’re online.
Moreover, the “Active X hours ago” status will also be gone. While this doesn’t necessarily mean they’ve restricted you, there is a possibility for that.
Use another account or ask a friend to look at the other person’s activity status to know for sure.
If their activity status appears on another account but is invisible on your account, it 100% means you’ve been restricted.
But to use this solution, you need the “Show Activity Status” option in your Instagram settings.
If that option is disabled on your account, you won’t be able to see your friends’ activity statuses.
How to Enable the “Show Activity Status” Option on Instagram
Follow the steps below to learn how to enable the “Show Activity Status” option on Instagram:
- Tap on your profile picture on Instagram
Open Instagram and tap on your profile picture in the bottom-right corner. There, you’ll find your Settings.
Proceed with the next steps to enable your Activity Status!
- Tap on the Menu icon and then select “Settings”
After you open your Instagram profile page, tap on your Menu icon. It’s the Hamburger icon in the top-right corner of your profile page.
It’s above the “Following” status marker next to your profile picture.
A new menu will open at the bottom with multiple options. Select “Settings” from the menu and continue with the next steps!
- Select “Privacy”
After you get to the “Settings,” look for the “Privacy” option. It’s 3rd on the list, next to “Notifications” and “Security.”
In the Privacy options, you’ll find what you’re looking for and complete this guide.
- Tap on “Activity Status”
In the privacy tab, look for the “Activity Status” option. You’ll need to scroll down until you find it.
It’s near the “Guides” and “Messages” options, above the “Connections” submenu.
Tap on it and then continue with the guide.
- Enable the Activity Status
This is it. All you need to do is tap on the “Show Activity Status” button to enable the option.
When it’s enabled, it’ll show as blue, and when it’s disabled, it’ll show as grey.
If you read the information there, you’ll see, “When this is turned off, you won’t be able to see the activity status of other accounts.”
After you enable this option, you can check the activity status of the person you assume has restricted you.
If it doesn’t appear, then they might have restricted you!
Restricting someone on Instagram is a way of cutting contact with that person if they’re bothering you.
The other person may not know they’ve been restricted, which could be helpful in some situations.
If you want to know whether they’ve restricted you:
- Check your comments on their posts from another account;
- Check their Activity Status from another account;
- Look at the private conversation between you and the other person. If they haven’t read your messages, replied to them, and if you can’t see when they were last online, chances are they’ve restricted you.
I hope this article has helped you. If you have any questions, leave them below, and I’ll reply as soon as possible!